It’s been a great year, and time to compile all of my favorite places visited in the Salt Lake Valley over the year. In making this list, it does not necessarily trump choices I made in 2012. For that list you can click here.
BEST BAKED GOODS (2012 winner: Bruges Waffles)
1. Bake 360 This place blew my mind. Good thing it is way over in Draper, or I would be very, very fat and broke.
2. Tulie Bakery
BEST BBQ (2012 winner: Pat’s BBQ)
1. R & R BBQ I only reviewed one BBQ this year and it was one of a kind.
BEST BAR/PUB – New category
1. The REST @ Bodega – A great dining experience
2. Red Rock
BEST BREAKFAST (2012 winner: Park Cafe)
1. Eggs in the City Both choices were close, but I give the nod to Eggs in the City for the wider selection, and consistency across the menu.
2. Cafe Niche
BEST BURGERS (2012 winner: Lucky 13)
1. Carl’s Cafe – The Brighton Burger is simply amazing.
2. The Garage – Not only are the burgers spectacular, the place is really cool, and the fried mormon funeral potato balls are amazing!
BEST ASIAN (2012 winner: Benja Thai)
1. Oh Mai Vietnamese Sandwich House – The bahn mi sandwich here, especially the supposed S-12 Brisket special, is my lunchtime staple.
2. Red Basil Awesome Thai food with great lunch specials
BEST ITALIAN (2012 winner: Canellas)
1. Cucina Vanina – The dish I had there transcended all cuisines and was one of the best things I’ve ever had. Exceptional food.
2. Per Noir
BEST MEXICAN (2012 winner: Red Iguana)
1. Tarahumara – It is all the way in Midway, but worth the drive.
2. Taqueria 27
BEST PIZZA (2012 winner: Settebello)
1. Cafe Galleria – Great NY style wood fired baked pizza.
BEST SANDWICH (2012 winner: Moochies)
1. Feldman’s Deli – Not enough Jewish deli places here in SL. This is a must visit.
BEST STEAKHOUSE (2012 winner: Z Chop Haus)
1. Faustina – Didn’t do many steakhouses, but they make a really good steak
BEST CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICAN (new category)
1. Adobos – Go try the mofongo and thank me later.
OVERALL 2013 WINNERS
Last year my top three favorites were Moochies, Pat’s BBQ, and Bruges Waffles and Frites. Giving away the top 3 prizes this year is a tough one, but in the end, there can only be three, so here they are:
GOLD: Bake 360
SILVER: Oh Mai Vietnamese Sandwich House
BRONZE: R&R BBQ